Church History

1870 A number of people banded together and their first meeting place was a room over the Magnolia Saloon on Washington Avenue.
1871 In this year Winnebago Presbytery took the Oshkosh group under its care as a "Home Mission Church."
1893 Bids were opened on a proposed new building and work commenced in March; the cornerstone was laid in June. Money was collected for a new pipe organ and it was installed in July 1895. On August 5, 1895 the new building was dedicated.
1948 The pipe organ being more than 50 years old and in need of repair was sold to Grace Lutheran Church and replaced with an electric organ. The organ, Steinway grand piano, and major modifications to the chancel area were gifts from members.
1954 Renovation of interior space was begun with updating of plumbing, electrical, and additional space provided in the lower level. This year also saw the building placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
1980 A Capital Improvement program was started with new boilers, thermostats, and fans. On June 8th the congregation voted to remain in this building.
1985 During the capital fund drive the need for a new organ was discussed and a committee was formed to look into the purchase of a new organ to replace the worn out electronic one. After much study in 1990 the congregation voted to hire David Moore to build a new organ. The tracker pipe organ was completely hand made in Vermont. It was dedicated in 1993 the 100th anniversary of building.
1993 A fund raising campaign was held for other necessary projects to protect our 100 year old building. Stained glass windows were removed and restored , dining room ceiling and lighting were replaced and new commercial dishwasher was installed in the kitchen. New landscaping and the balance due on the organ was paid.
1999 How to make the building handicapped friendly was studied after a memorial gift was given based on congregation matching the amount given. The congregation voted to go ahead and plans were drawn for the project.
2001 Project was completed along with additional office space and now the building is barrier free.